[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Terminology

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 19:59:09 UTC 2013

This is really helpful, thanks for pulling it together.

comment inline...

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Tzu-Mainn Chen <tzumainn at redhat.com> wrote:
> * NODE a physical general purpose machine capable of running in many roles. Some nodes may have hardware layout that is particularly
>        useful for a given role.
>
>      * REGISTRATION - the act of creating a node in Ironic
>
>      * ROLE - a specific workload we want to map onto one or more nodes. Examples include 'undercloud control plane', 'overcloud control
>        plane', 'overcloud storage', 'overcloud compute' etc.
>
>          * MANAGEMENT NODE - a node that has been mapped with an undercloud role
>          * SERVICE NODE - a node that has been mapped with an overcloud role
>             * COMPUTE NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud compute role
>             * CONTROLLER NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud controller role
>             * OBJECT STORAGE NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud object storage role
>             * BLOCK STORAGE NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud block storage role
>
>          * UNDEPLOYED NODE - a node that has not been mapped with a role

This begs the question (for me anyway), why not call it UNMAPPED NODE?
 If not, can we s/mapped/deployed in the descriptions above instead?

It might make sense then to define mapped and deployed in technical
terms as well.  Is mapped just the act of associating a node with a
role in the UI, or does it mean that bits have actually been
transferred across the wire to the node's disk and it's now running?

--
-- James Slagle