[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Terminology
tzumainn at redhat.com
Wed Dec 11 19:15:22 UTC 2013
I'm trying to clarify the terminology being used for Tuskar, which may be helpful so that we're sure
that we're all talking about the same thing :) I'm copying responses from the requirements thread
and combining them with current requirements to try and create a unified view. Hopefully, we can come
to a reasonably rapid consensus on any desired changes; once that's done, the requirements can be
* NODE a physical general purpose machine capable of running in many roles. Some nodes may have hardware layout that is particularly
useful for a given role.
* REGISTRATION - the act of creating a node in Ironic
* ROLE - a specific workload we want to map onto one or more nodes. Examples include 'undercloud control plane', 'overcloud control
plane', 'overcloud storage', 'overcloud compute' etc.
* MANAGEMENT NODE - a node that has been mapped with an undercloud role
* SERVICE NODE - a node that has been mapped with an overcloud role
* COMPUTE NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud compute role
* CONTROLLER NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud controller role
* OBJECT STORAGE NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud object storage role
* BLOCK STORAGE NODE - a service node that has been mapped to an overcloud block storage role
* UNDEPLOYED NODE - a node that has not been mapped with a role
* another option - UNALLOCATED NODE - a node that has not been allocated through nova scheduler (?)
- (after reading lifeless's explanation, I agree that "allocation" may be a
misleading term under TripleO, so I personally vote for UNDEPLOYED)
* INSTANCE - A role deployed on a node - this is where work actually happens.
* SIZE THE ROLES - the act of deciding how many nodes will need to be assigned to each role
* another option - DISTRIBUTE NODES (?)
- (I think the former is more accurate, but perhaps there's a better way to say it?)
* SCHEDULING - the process of deciding which role is deployed on which node
* SERVICE CLASS - a further categorization within a service role for a particular deployment.
* NODE PROFILE - a set of requirements that specify what attributes a node must have in order to be mapped to
a service class
Does this seem accurate? All feedback is appreciated!
More information about the OpenStack-dev