[openstack-dev] [ironic][qa] How will ironic tests run in tempest?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Dec 11 01:39:57 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 07:05 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 11 December 2013 09:43, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> So it seems that the code in the submitted tempest tests can run in a
>> regular job if devstack is configured to enable ironic, but that this cannot
>> be the default. So I propose that we create a regular devstack+ironic job
>> that will run in the ironic and tempest gates, and run just the ironic
>> tests. When third-party bare-metal results can be reported for ironic,
>> tempest can then accept tests that require bare-metal.  Does any one have a
>> problem with this approach?
>
> Whats the connection between accepting baremetal tests and third-party
> testing? AIUI the criteria for acceptance is 'the thing is incubated
> or integrated'.

We also take the general policy of not landing things we've not seen
execute, otherwise we've found we end up with a bunch of non working
tests, because they aren't executed, a refactor happens, they don't get
caught, fail....

So landing additional function means we need some data on it running.
That means either something in infra (ideally, it can be a periodic and
not an every patch sort of thing) though we can also handle that with
something coming back on 3rd party testing.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net