[openstack-dev] [Ironic] cleaning up our core reviewer list

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 00:25:50 UTC 2013

Hi all,

It's about time that I look at the ironic review stats to see who should be
added / removed again.

There are several non-core folks doing reviews during the last month [1] --
thanks! These have been very helpful. I am also looking at the folks who
are contributing code [3] to get another view on depth of knowledge of the
project.

I'm not looking just at the numbers. Good review feedback is very
important, as is the ability to spot architectural problems in a patchset.
For contributors, whether a patch is a superficial fix or a meaningful
improvement is more important than the number of patches submitted. Right
now, I'm looking for folks who have both a general understanding of the
code and project architecture, and a deep knowledge in at least one area,
who have time to review at least one patch a day and attend the weekly
meeting.

Our stats for the last 30 days [1] are:

Total reviews: 711 (23.7/day)
Total reviewers: 23 (avg 1.0 reviews/day)
Total reviews by core team: 347 (11.6/day)
Core team size: 6 (avg 1.9 reviews/day)
New patch sets in the last 30 days: 519 (17.3/day)
Changes involved in the last 30 days: 147 (4.9/day)
  New changes in the last 30 days: 124 (4.1/day)
  Changes merged in the last 30 days: 99 (3.3/day)
  Changes abandoned in the last 30 days: 15 (0.5/day)
  Changes left in state WIP in the last 30 days: 4 (0.1/day)
  Queue growth in the last 30 days: 6 (0.2/day)
  Average number of patches per changeset: 3.5

With an average of 4 patches per day, and 4 active core reviewers, we
currently need to maintain a rate of 2 reviews per core member per day to
keep the backlog from growing.

With all that in mind, I don't see anyone who I feel is both an active
reviewer and has a solid grasp on the project (and who isn't already core)
at the moment. I'll be reaching out to a few people who I think are very
close to see if they are interested and able to commit to a few more
reviews, and revisit this mid-january.

Now for the goodbyes. Michael and Sean initially helped a lot with
nova-baremetal reviews and seeded Ironic's review team when the project
started out. However, they haven't been actively reviewing lately [2] and
when I chatted with them at the summit, neither indicated that they would
return to reviewing this code, so I have removed them from the core team.
I'd like to thank them both for the help jump-starting the project!

-Devananda

[1] - http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/ironic-reviewers-30.txt
[2] - http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/ironic-reviewers-90.txt
[3] -