[openstack-dev] [ironic][qa] How will ironic tests run in tempest?

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 20:43:21 UTC 2013

On 12/09/2013 01:37 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Clark Boylan <clark.boylan at gmail.com
> <mailto:clark.boylan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com
>     <mailto:dkranz at redhat.com>> wrote:
>     > It's great that tempest tests for ironic have been submitted! I was
>     > reviewing https://review.openstack.org/#/c/48109/ and noticed
>     that the tests
>     > do not actually run. They are skipped because baremetal is not
>     enabled. This
>     > is not terribly surprising but we have had a policy in tempest
>     to only merge
>     > code that has demonstrated that it works. For services that
>     cannot run in
>     > the single-vm environment of the upstream gate we said there
>     could be a
>     > system running somewhere that would run them and report a result
>     to gerrit.
>     > Is there a plan for this, or to make an exception for ironic?
>     >
>     >  -David
>     >
>     > OpenStack-dev mailing list
>     > OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>
>     There is a change[0] to openstack-infra/config to add experimental
>     tempest jobs to test ironic. I think that change is close to being
>     ready, but I need to give it time for a proper review. Once in that
>     will allow you to test 48109 (in theory, not sure if all the bits will
>     just work). I don't think these tests fall under the cannot run in a
>     single vm environment umbrella, we should be able to test the
>     baremetal code via the pxe booting of VMs within the single VM
>     environment.
>
>     [0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/53917/
>

>     Clark
>

> We can test the ironic services, database, and the driver interfaces
> by using our "fake" driver within a single devstack VM today (I'm not
> sure the exercises for all of this have been written yet, but it's
> practical to test it). OTOH, I don't believe we can test a PXE deploy
> within a single VM today, and need to resume discussions with infra
> about this.
>
> There are some other aspects of Ironic (IPMI, SOL access, any
> vendor-specific drivers) which we'll need real hardware to test
> because they can't effectively be virtualized. TripleO should cover
> some (much?) of those needs, once they are able to switch to using
> Ironic instead of nova-baremetal.
>
> -Devananda
So it seems that the code in the submitted tempest tests can run in a
regular job if devstack is configured to enable ironic, but that this
cannot be the default. So I propose that we create a regular
devstack+ironic job that will run in the ironic and tempest gates, and
run just the ironic tests. When third-party bare-metal results can be
reported for ironic, tempest can then accept tests that require
bare-metal.  Does any one have a problem with this approach?

  -David