[openstack-dev] [UX] Weekly topic - Horizon Navigation

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 13:25:05 UTC 2013

Dear OpenStack community,

each week we are going to highlight some interesting and important UX
topics here on the mailing list (though I will be referencing a lot to
the Askbot tool, which we use for discussions).

At the moment, we are asking for attention for *Horizon's navigation
redesign*:

http://ask-openstackux.rhcloud.com/question/2/openstack-dashboard-navigation-redesign/

Some time before summit we started to invest time into navigation
enhancements. There started horizontal proposal [0] and based on some
feedback, we tried to provide vertical solution [1] as well. At summit
there was super interesting discussion about interaction in both
approaches. At the end of session, we had a voting which ended in favor
of vertical navigation (won in ratio about 6:4). There were strong
arguments for vertical as well as for horizontal approach.

Lately, there were some voices that voting was based on limited
audience, so I'd like to bring this issue up here. We don't want to be
blocked forever, choosing 'perfect' solution. We will try to deliver
solution so that people can easily switch from vertical to horizontal
(or vice versa) just by skinning anyway. So for the moment we want to
find preferred way for OpenStack upstream, which we will be enhancing in
time. What is important to take into account is to keep on mind latest
IA [2], which is still in progress, but we have pretty good picture
which direction we are going.

Whoever is interested in navigation topic or has some preferences one
way or another, we are looking forward to hearing from you here or in
the Askbot thread.

Cheers
-- Jarda

--- Jaromir Coufal (jcoufal)