[openstack-dev] [Neutron] DHCP Agent Reliability

Isaku Yamahata isaku.yamahata at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 06:16:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 08:07:12PM +0900,
Isaku Yamahata <isaku.yamahata at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 08:43:59AM +1300,
> Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> > > What are the semantics of AMQP discarding notifications when a consumer is no longer present?  Can this be relied upon to ensure that potentially stale notifications do not remain in the queue when an agent restarts?
> >
> > If the queue is set to autodelete, it will delete when the agent
> > disconnects. There will be no queue until the agent reconnects. I
> > don't know if we expose that functionality via oslo.messaging, but
> > it's certainly something AMQP can do.
>
> What happens if intermittent network instability occur?
> When the connection between agent <-> AMQP is unintentionally closed,
> will agent die or reconnect to it?

Answering myself. If connection is closed, it will reconnects automatically
at rpc layer. See neutron.openstack.common.rpc.impl_{kombu, qpid}.py.
So notifications during reconnects can be lost if AMQP service is set
to discard notifications during no subscriber.
--
Isaku Yamahata <isaku.yamahata at gmail.com>