[openstack-dev] [Neutron] DHCP Agent Reliability

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Sun Dec 8 12:43:40 UTC 2013

On Dec 7, 2013, at 6:21 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> On 7 December 2013 21:53, Isaku Yamahata <isaku.yamahata at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Case 3: Hardware failure. So an agent on the node is gone.
>>        Another agent will run on another node.
>>
>> If AMQP service is set up not to lose notification, notifications will be piled up
>> and stress AMQP service. I would say single node failure isn't catastrophic.
>
> So we should have AMQP set to discard notifications if there is noone

What are the semantics of AMQP discarding notifications when a consumer is no longer present?  Can this be relied upon to ensure that potentially stale notifications do not remain in the queue when an agent restarts?

> listening: when an agent connects after an outage, it first starts
> listening, then does a poll for updates it missed.

Are you suggesting that processing of notifications and full state synchronization are able to cooperate safely?  Or hoping that it will be so in the future?

m.