[openstack-dev] Unified Guest Agent proposal

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Dec 7 16:46:00 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2013-12-07 00:17:19 -0800:
> On 7 December 2013 21:08, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> > So what is needed is domain specific command execution and segregation
> > of capabilities.
>
> Sounds rather like mcollective.

It does actually. If it weren't explicitly tied to Ruby for its agent
plugins I'd say it is a good drop-in candidate. There is actually an
attempt to replace the ruby agent with C++ here:

https://github.com/jedi4ever/mcollective-cpp-agents

But it is 2+ years old so it is not clear at all if it was successful.

Anyway, even if we can't use mcollective, I think we can copy its model,
which is basically to have an AMQP (they use STOMP.. simpler than AMQP)
broker sit between clients (Trove/Savanna/Heat) and agents. Then on the
agents, you just have named plugins which can take inputs and produce
outputs.

So you'd put a 'mysql_db_crud' plugin on Trove managed instances, and a
'hadoop_run_job' plugin on Savanna instances. But the agent itself is
basically the same everywhere.