[openstack-dev] Unified Guest Agent proposal

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Sat Dec 7 07:53:47 UTC 2013

Agreed,

Chatting earlier today on #cloud-init about all of this I think scott convinced me that maybe we (the joint we in the community at large) should think about asking ourselves what do we really want a guest agent for/to do?

If it's for software installation or user management then aren't puppet, chef, juju (lots of others) good enough?

If it's for tracking what a vm is doing, aren't there many existing tools for this already (sounds like monitoring to me).

Is there a good list of what people really want out of a guest agent (something unique that only a guest agent can do/is best at). If there is one and it was already posted, my fault (I am on my iPhone which is not best for emails...)

Sent from my really tiny device...