[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Provisioning Support

Veiga, Anthony Anthony_Veiga at cable.comcast.com
Fri Dec 6 21:35:30 UTC 2013

As part of the discussion around managing IPv6-addressed hosts both within
neutron itself and other systems that require address information, Sean
Collins and I had had a discussion about the types of addresses that could
be supported.  Since IPv6 has many modes of provisioning, we will need to
provide support for each of them.  However, there is a caveat when dealing
with SLAAC provisioning.  The only method of provisioning that is
predictable from Neutron's point of view is EUI-64.  Dazhao Yu has worked
on a patch set to do this [1].  Privacy Extensions are in use and well
documented by the IETF (RFC 4941), however it is not feasible for Neutron
to predict these addresses.  Thus it is my opinion that OpenStack should
officially support using EUI-64 only for provisioning addresses via SLAAC.
 This does not preclude PE methods from functioning, but it will be
impossible to provide the guest's IPv6 address to other systems such as
FWaaS or LBaaS.  Also, this is only for SLAAC provisioning mode.  Stateful
(DHCPv6) and static injection should not be impacted here.

To this end, I'd like to propose that OpenStack officially support guests
using EUI-64 when using SLAAC for provisioning.  Note that I am NOT
proposing anything regarding DHCPv6 or static provisioning, as I believe
that should allow any of the existing allocation methods.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/56184/

-Anthony