[openstack-dev] [heat] [glance] Heater Proposal

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Dec 6 18:38:00 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2013-12-05 21:32:54 -0800:
> On 12/05/2013 04:25 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Andrew Plunk's message of 2013-12-05 12:42:49 -0800:

> >> I think we are getting out into the weeds a little bit here. It is important to think about these apis in terms of what they actually do, before the decision of combining them or not can be made.
> >>
> >> I think of HeatR as a template storage service, it provides extra data and operations on templates. HeatR should not care about how those templates are stored.
> >> Glance is an image storage service, it provides extra data and operations on images (not blobs), and it happens to use swift as a backend.
> >>
> >> If HeatR and Glance were combined, it would result in taking two very different types of data (template metadata vs image metadata) and mashing them into one service. How would adding the complexity of HeatR benefit Glance, when they are dealing with conceptually two very different types of data? For instance, should a template ever care about the field "minRam" that is stored with an image? Combining them adds a huge development complexity with a very small operations payoff, and so Openstack is already so operationally complex that HeatR as a separate service would be knowledgeable. Only clients of Heat will ever care about data and operations on templates, so I move that HeatR becomes it's own service, or becomes part of Heat.
> >>

> > I spoke at length via G+ with Randall and Tim about this earlier today.
> > I think I understand the impetus for all of this a little better now.
> >
> > Basically what I'm suggesting is that Glance is only narrow in scope
> > because that was the only object that OpenStack needed a catalog for
> > before now.
> >
> > However, the overlap between a catalog of images and a catalog of
> > templates is quite comprehensive. The individual fields that matter to
> > images are different than the ones that matter to templates, but that
> > is a really minor detail isn't it?
> >
> > I would suggest that Glance be slightly expanded in scope to be an
> > object catalog. Each object type can have its own set of fields that
> > matter to it.
> >
> > This doesn't have to be a minor change to glance to still have many
> > advantages over writing something from scratch and asking people to
> > deploy another service that is 99% the same as Glance.
>
> My suggestion for long-term architecture would be to use Murano for
> catalog/metadata information (for images/templates/whatever) and move
> the block-streaming drivers into Cinder, and get rid of the Glance
> project entirely. Murano would then become the catalog/registry of
> objects in the OpenStack world, Cinder would be the thing that manages
> and streams blocks of data or block devices, and Glance could go away.
> Imagine it... OpenStack actually *reducing* the number of projects
> instead of expanding! :)

Have we not learned our lesson with Nova-Net/Neutron yet? Rewrites of
existing functionality are painful.

The Murano-concerned people have already stated they are starting over
on that catalog.

I suggest they start over by expanding Glance's catalog. If the block
streaming bits of Glance need to move somewhere else, that sounds like a
completely separate concern that distracts from this point.

And to be clear, (I think I will just stop talking as I think I've
made this point), my point is, we have a catalog, let's make it better.