[openstack-dev] [Nova][Docker] What are the plans or thoughts about providing volumes aka folder mounts

Daniel Kuffner daniel.kuffner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 15:54:41 UTC 2013

Hi All,

We are using in our company for a prototype the docker hypervisor on
openstack.  We have the need to mount a folder inside of a container.
To achieve this goal I have implemented a hack which allows to specify
a folder mount via nova metadata. For example a heat template could
look like:

 my-container:
    Type: OS::Nova::Server
    Properties:
      flavor: m1.large
      image: my-image:latest
      metadata:
         Volumes: "/host/path:/guest/path"

This approach is of course not perfect and even a security risk (which
is in our case no issue since we are not going to provide a public
cloud).
Any other ideas or plans how to provide the volume/folder mount in the future?

regards,
Daniel