[openstack-dev] [nova] Do we have some guidelines for mock, stub, mox when writing unit test?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 03:38:03 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 12:10 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 12/04/2013 11:16 AM, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
>> Resurrecting this thread because of an interesting review that came up
>> yesterday [1].
>>
>> It seems that our lack of a firm decision on what to do with the mocking
>> framework has left people confused. In hope to help - I'll give my view
>> of where things are now and what we should do going forward, and
>> hopefully we'll reach some consensus on this.
>>
>> Here's the breakdown:
>>
>> We should abandon mox:
>> * It has not had a release in over 3 years [2] and a patch upstream for 2
>> * There are bugs that are impacting the project with it (see above)
>> * It will not be ported to python 3
>>
>> Proposed path forward options:
>> 1) Port nova to mock now:
>>    * Literally unmanageable - huge review overhead and regression risk
>> for not so much gain (maybe) [1]
>>
>> 2) Opportunistically port nova (write new tests using mock, when fixing
>> tests, move them to mock):
>>   * Will take a really long time to move to mock, and is not really a
>> solution since we are stuck with mock for an undetermined period of time
>> - it's what we are doing now (kind of).
>>
>> 3) Same as 2) but move current codebase to mox3
>>   * Buys us py3k compat, and fresher code
>>   * Mox3 and mox have diverged and we would need to backport mox fixes
>> onto the mox3 three and become de-facto active maintainers (as per Peter
>> Feiner's last email - that may not be so easy).
>>
>> I think we should follow path 3) if we can, but we need to:
>>
>> 1) Figure out what is the deal with mox3 and decide if owning it will
>> really be less trouble than porting nova. To be hones - I was unable to
>> even find the code repo for it, only [3]. If anyone has more info -
>> please weigh in. We'll also need volunteers
>>
>> 2) Make better testing guidelines when using mock, and maybe add some
>> testing helpers (like we do already have for mox) that will make porting
>> existing tests easier. mreidem already put this on this weeks nova
>> meeting agenda - so that might be a good place to discuss all the issues
>> mentioned here as well.
>>
>> We should really take a stronger stance on this soon IMHO, as this comes
>> up with literally every commit.
>
> I think option 3 makes the most sense here (pending anyone saying we
> should run away screaming from mox3 for some reason).  It's actually
> what I had been assuming since this thread a while back.

What precisely is the benefit of moving the existing code to mox3 versus
moving the existing code to mock? Is mox3 so similar to mox that the
transition would be minimal?

> This means that we don't need to *require* that tests get converted if
> you're changing one.  It just gets you bonus imaginary internet points.
>
> Requiring mock for new tests seems fine.  We can grant exceptions in
> specific cases if necessary.  In general, we should be using mock for
> new tests.

My vote would be to use mock for everything new (no brainer), keep old
mox stuff around and slowly port it to mock. I see little value in
bringing in another mox3 library, especially if we'd end up having to
maintain it.

Best,
-jay