[openstack-dev] [heat] Stack convergence first steps

Anderson Mesquita andersonvom at thoughtworks.com
Thu Dec 5 21:50:35 UTC 2013

Hey stackers,

We've been working towards making stack convergence (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/stack-convergence) one step
closer to being ready at a time.  After the first patch was submitted we
got positive feedback on it as well as some good suggestions as to how to
move it forward.

The first step (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/stack-check) is
to get all the statuses back from the real world resources and update our
stacks accordingly so that we'll be able to move on to the next step:
converge it to the desired state, fixing any errors that may have happened.

We just submitted another WiP for review, and as we were doing it, a few
questions were raised and we'd like to get everybody's input on them. Our
main concern is around the use and purpose of the `status` of a
stack/resource.  `status` currently appears to represent the status of the
last action taken, and it seems that we may need to repurpose it or
possibly create something else to represent a stack's "health" (i.e.
everything is up and running as expected, something smells fishy, something
broke, stack's is doomed).  We described this thoroughly here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/heat-convergence

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

andersonvom/rblee88