[openstack-dev] [policy] Let's make topics mandatory for openstack-dev

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 5 13:46:51 UTC 2013

Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     We already have that functionality with the Topics support in mailman.
>     You can sign up for just specific topics there and only get those
>     topics. Emails are tagged with an X-Topics: header for filtering (much
>     more reliable than subject lines).
>
> This topic comes up regularly these days and this and another message
> from Stefano[1] are helpful to using topics so I've added it to the
> MailingList wiki page[2].  Plus pointers to split-the-list threads so we
> can maybe refresh on why things are the way they are.
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/019233.html
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists#Future_Development

Mailman Topics are good enough at this point -- the main issue with them
is that if you fail to provide any topic with your email, mailman
defaults to sending it to everyone... so people not following the topic
rules actually get more visibility than people who do.

I think we should just extend the use of sane subject lines and fight
people who fail to provide a topic (if what they are posting is not of
cross-project interest).

As someone who proposed a basic split recently, I'll admit that adopting
a more violent approach to ignoring threads based on their subject lines
worked for me over the last weeks. The harder is to accept that you
can't read everything. Once you do that, aggressively ignoring stuff
you're less interested in is not that hard.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)