[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Interfaces file format, was [Tempest] Need to prepare the IPv6 environment for static IPv6 injection test case

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Dec 4 16:26:16 UTC 2013

We seem to have bound our config drive file formats to those used by the
operating system we're running, which doesn't seem like the right approach
to take.

Firstly, the above format doesn't actually work even for Debian-based
systems - if you have a network without ipv6, ipv6 ND will be enabled on
the ipv4-only interfaces, which strikes me as wrong.  (This is a feature of
Linux - ipv4 is enabled on interfaces which are specifically configured
with ipv4, but ipv6 is enabled on all interfaces that are brought up.)

But more importantly, the above file template only works for Debian-based
machines - not Redhat, not Windows, not anything else - and we seem to have
made that a feature of Openstack from the relatively early days of file
injection.  That's not an ipv6 only thing but a general statement.  It
seems wrong to have to extend Openstack's config drive injection for every
OS that might come along, so is there a way we can make this work without
tying the two things together?  Are we expecting the cloud-init code in
whatever OS to parse and understand this file format, or are they supposed
to use other information?  In general, what would the recommendation be for
someone using a VM where this config format is not native?

--
Ian.