[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Incubation Request for Barbican

Jarret Raim jarret.raim at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Dec 4 13:11:54 UTC 2013

>> I think this conversation has gotten away from our incubation request
>>and
>> into an argument about what makes a good library and when and how
>>projects
>> should choose between oslo and other options. I¹m happy to have the
>>second
>> one in another thread, but that seems like a longer conversation that is
>> separate from our request.
>
>It's absolutely about your incubation request.  Part of this process is
>looking at the technical fit with the rest of OpenStack, and this is
>well within the scope of that discussion.

Oh understood, I’m just saying that the ask was to move away from Celery
to oslo.messaging. We’ve agreed to work on that and I don’t think there is
a problem in getting that done for Icehouse.

It is the larger discussion about whether oslo.messaging is really the
best approach that seems off topic. We’re going to use it, so the argument
is moot for now. If we want to take up that discussion, we can certainly
do that, but it more like a conversation that happens within the oslo
group rather than part of Barbican's request.

>I need to make another pass over the added info and go deeper into the
>technical bits, so I suspect there will be more feedback still.  It's
>only been a day.  :-)

Great. Always happy to have another set of eyes on the code.

>Also, note that most of the things brought up so far are based on the
>proposed requirements for becoming incubated, not for things to be
>worked on during incubation.  Unless the requirements change, so far it
>looks like this request should be deferred a bit longer.

We are working on the issues that have been brought up so far. Today, we
submitted a PR to add in pbr and the global requirements [1]. Once that
has been reviewed, we'll land it after the Icehouse-1 release. Note that
celery is still in the list until we complete the oslo.messengaging work.

Jarret

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59817/1