[openstack-dev] [Nova] New API requirements, review of GCE

Alexandre Levine alevine at cloudscaling.com
Wed Dec 4 06:52:48 UTC 2013

It is not a problem to update the code in given direction when the
decision is made. As I understood right now it's not about the code -
that's why I'd canceled the code review until the blueprint is accepted
- it's more about architecture and procedures such as which tests should
be obligatory and alike.

My vision of architecture when we'd started the project was:
Yes, eventually GCE API as well as EC2 should be a separate service
because of the following reasons:
1. It covers wider functionality than compute - in fact it covers almost
the whole cloud. That's why both EC2 and GCE have to go to Neutron,
Cinder and other services out of the nova boundaries to perform tasks
not related to compute at all.
2. Nova is quite big already and has lots of services. It'll be great to
disintegrate it a little bit for simplicity, loose coupling and such
other reasons.

But:
As long as EC2 is in the nova other alike APIs might stay there as well.
And it is rather a different task to separate them from it.

The thing is - we can make GCE API a separate service but we need to be
told about that. Some decisions should be made so that we could react or
we won't have time and might miss even Icehouse.

Best regards,
    Alex Levine

04.12.2013 0:15, Eric Windisch ?????: