[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Rename 'tenant' to 'project' as per Keystone?

Ziad Sawalha ziad at sawalha.com
Wed Dec 4 06:15:43 UTC 2013

I can speak to the first "project->tenant” part.

In the beginning there was Nova and Swift. Nova (NASA) used the term project. Swift (Rackspace) used the term account.

When we created Keystone to provide a common auth system, we were also interested in developing a common multi-tenant-accounting framework [see 1, 2], so we introduced what we believed was a generic term - tenant - that did not inherit the NASA or Rackspace-specific organizational models.

Most new OpeenStack projects coming in adopted “tenant", but we were not able to complete the the changes to the Nova or Swift codebases.

The Keystone v2 API released in Diablo was implemented with the term “tenant”  (v1 and v1.1 were Rackspace Auth API versions).

Hope that helps provide some historical context (at least the piece of the history that I did participate in).

[1] last updated spec https://github.com/ziadsawalha/multi-tenant-accounting (in pdf<https://github.com/ziadsawalha/multi-tenant-accounting/blob/master/tenants.pdf?raw=true>)
[2] on the wiki https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Openstack-accounting