[openstack-dev] VMware Workstation / Fusion / Player Nova driver

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 20:18:37 UTC 2013

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 07:23:19PM +0000, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
>>
>> On 02 Dec 2013, at 04:52 , Kyle Mestery (kmestery) <kmestery at cisco.com> wrote:
>>

>>> This is very cool Alessandro, thanks for sharing! Any plans to try and get this
>>> nova driver upstreamed?
>>
>> My personal opinion is that drivers should stay outside of Nova in a separate project.

Oh, so when are we dropping Hyper-V (again) ?  :-)

> If drivers were to live in separate projects we would be forced to maintain
> Nova internal code as stable APIs to avoid breaking drivers during the dev
> cycle. This would place a significant burden on Nova development and have a
> negative impact on the overal ease of development. It would also discourage
> collaboration and sharing of code between virt drivers, which is already a
> significant problem today whereby drivers come up with different ways todo
> the same thing. If you want to be isolated from the community in a separate
> project then expect your code to be broken periodically during development.
> If you don't want that, then put the code in tree and be an active part of
> the community effort working together, instead of in isolation.

I generally agree here.  If a driver wants to be separate, that's fine,
there's nothing stopping you.  It just has to be done with the
understanding that it's build on unstable APIs, and you will need
something to ensure you keep up.  That is probably CI.  And if you're
doing CI on the driver, you've met one of the most difficult requirments
to being in Nova.

Someone may also want to have a driver separate for control reasons.
I'd be surprised if that was really a factor with this particular
driver, though.

--
Russell Bryant