[openstack-dev] Tool for detecting commonly misspelled words

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Dec 3 19:05:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Nachi Ueno <nachi at ntti3.com> wrote:
> 2013/12/3 John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com>:

>>> Are we going to start gating on spellcheck of code and commit messages?  :-)
>>
>> NO please (please please please).  We have enough "grammar reviewers"
>> at this point already IMO and I honestly think I might puke if jenkins
>> fails my patch because I didn't put a '.' at the end of my comment
>> line in the code.  I'd much rather see us focus on things like... I
>> dunno... maybe having the code actually work?
>
> yeah, but may be non-voting reviews by this tool is helpful

Fair enough... don't get me wrong I'm all for support of non-english
contributors etc.  I just think that the emphasis on grammar and
punctuation in reviews has gotten a bit out of hand as of late.  FWIW
I've never -1'd a patch (and never would) because somebody used "its"
rather than "it's" in a comment.  Or they didn't end a comment (NOT a
docstring) with a period.  I think it's the wrong place to spend
effort quite honestly.

That being said, I realize people will continue to this sort of thing
(it's very important to get your -1 counts in the review stats) and
admittedly there is some value to spelling and grammar.  I just feel
that there are *real* issues and bugs that people could spend this
time that would actually have some significant and real benefit.

I'm obviously in the minority on this topic so I should probably just
yield at this point and get on board the grammar train.