[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Incubation Request for Barbican

Jarret Raim jarret.raim at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Dec 3 16:40:21 UTC 2013

>I think there's something else you should take under consideration.
>Oslo messaging is not just an OpenStack library. It's the RPC library
>that all projects are relying on and one of the strong goals we have
>in OpenStack is to reduce code and efforts duplications. We'd love to
>have more people testing and contributing to oslo.messaging in order
>to make it as battle tested as celery is.
>
>Please, don't get me wrong. I don't mean to say you didn't considered
>it, I just want to add another reason why we should always try to
>re-use the libraries that other projects are using - unless there's a
>strong technical reason ;).

As I¹ve said, we are willing to look at the library for Icehouse. As lots
of projects have implemented it, I hope that the switchover will be
reasonably easy.

I think this conversation has gotten away from our incubation request and
into an argument about what makes a good library and when and how projects
should choose between oslo and other options. I¹m happy to have the second
one in another thread, but that seems like a longer conversation that is
separate from our request.

It seems like the comments are slowing down now. Does everyone feel our
list (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican/Incubation) accurately
captures the comments that have been brought up?

I filled out the Scope section of our request and I think we¹ve cleared up
the PTL election issue. Is there anything else I missed or have we covered
most of the issues?

Jarret