[openstack-dev] [Nova] Blueprint: standard specification of guest CPU topology

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 10:08:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 01:47:31AM -0800, Gary Kotton wrote:
> Hi,
> I think that this information should be used as part of the scheduling
> decision, that is hosts that are to be selected should be excluded if they
> do not have the necessary resources available. It will be interesting to
> know how this is going to fit into the new scheduler that is being
> discussed.

The CPU topology support shouldn't have any interactions with, nor
cause any failures post-scheduling. ie If the host has declared that
it has sufficient resources to run a VM with the given vCPU count,
then that is sufficient.

This is one of the reasons why the design is such that glance image
properties just declare an upper bound on topology, not an absolute
requirement. This allows the host chosen to run the VM to decide the
guest topology to suit its specific topology / resource availability.

Regards,
Daniel