[openstack-dev] [horizon] Javascript testing framework

Maxime Vidori maxime.vidori at enovance.com
Tue Dec 3 00:26:22 UTC 2013

Hi!

In order to improve the javascript quality of Horizon, we have to change the testing framework of the client-side. Qunit is a good tool for simple tests, but the integration of Angular need some powerful features which are not present in Qunit. So, I have made a little POC with the javascript testing library Jasmine, which is the one given as an example into the Angularjs documentation. I have also rewrite a Qunit test in Jasmine in order to show that the change is quite easy to make.

Feel free to comment in this mailing list the pros and cons of this new tool, and to checkout my code for reviewing it. I have also made an helper for quick development of Jasmine tests through Selenium.

To finish, I need your opinion for a new command line in run_tests.sh. I think we should create a run_tests.sh --runserver-test target which will allow developers to see all the javascript test page. This new command line will allow people to avoid the use of the command line for running Selenium tests, and allow them to view their tests in a comfortable html interface. It could be interesting for the development of tests, this command line will only be used for development purpose.

Waiting for your feedbacks!

Here is a link to the Jasmine POC: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59580/

Maxime Vidori