[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:49:21 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/02/2013 03:31 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> An explicit part of this plan is that all of the things you're
>>> talking about are *not* in scope until the forklift is complete
>>> and the new thing is a functional replacement for the existing
>>> nova-scheduler.  We want to get the project established and going
>>> so that it is a place where this work can take place.  We do
>>> *not* want to slow down the work of getting the project
>>> established by making these things a prerequisite.
>>

>> I'm all for the forklift approach since I don't think we will make
>> any progress if we stall going back into REST api design.
>>
>> I'm going to reopen a can of worms, though. I think the most
>> difficult part of the forklift will be moving stuff out of the
>> existing databases into a new database. We had to deal with this in
>> cinder and having a db export and import strategy is annoying to
>> say the least. Managing the db-related code was the majority of the
>> work during the cinder split.
>>
>> I think this forklift will be way easier if we merge the
>> no-db-scheduler[1] patches first before separating the scheduler
>> out into its own project:
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/no-db-scheduler
>>
>> I think the effort to get this finished is smaller than the effort
>> to write db migrations and syncing scripts for the new project.
>
> Agreed that this should make it easier.
>
> My thought was that the split out scheduler could just import nova's
> db API and use it against nova's database directly until this work
> gets done.  If the forklift goes that route instead of any sort of
> work to migrate data from one db to another, they could really happen
> in any order, I think.

That is a good point. If the forklift is still talking to nova's db
then it would be significantly less duplication and i could see doing
it in the reverse order. The no-db-stuff should be done before trying
to implement cinder support so we don't have the messiness of the
scheduler talking to multiple db apis.

Vish