[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Mon Dec 2 15:53:50 UTC 2013

On 12/2/13 5:39 PM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

>On 12/02/2013 10:33 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> Just because I'd like to argue - if what we do here is an actual
>> forklift, do we really need a cycle of deprecation?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that this is, on first stab, not intended to be a
>> service that has user-facing API differences. It's a reorganization of
>> code from one repo into a different one. It's very strongly designed to
>> not be different. It's not even adding a new service like conductor was
>> - it's simply moving the repo where the existing service is held.
>>
>> Why would we need/want to deprecate? I say that if we get the code
>> ectomied and working before nova feature freeze, that we elevate the new
>> nova repo and delete the code from nova. Process for process sake here
>> I'm not sure gets us anywhere.
>
>That makes sense to me, actually.
>
>I suppose part of the issue is that we're not positive how much work
>will happen to the code *after* the forklift.  Will we have other
>services integrated?  Will it have its own database?  How different is
>different enough to warrant needing a deprecation cycle?

I have concerns with the forklift. There are at least 1 or 2 changes a
week to the scheduling code (and the is is not taking into account new
features being added). Will these need to be updated in 2 separate code
bases? How do we ensure that both are in sync for the interim period. I am
really sorry for playing devils advocate but I really think that there are
too many issues and we have yet to iron them out. This should not prevent
us from doing it but lets at least be aware of what is waiting ahead.