[openstack-dev] request-id in API response

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:18:22 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM, John Dickinson <me at not.mn> wrote:

> Just to add to the story, Swift uses "X-Trans-Id" and generates it in the
> outer-most "catch_errors" middleware.
>
> Swift's catch errors middleware is responsible for ensuring that the
> transaction id exists on each request, and that all errors previously
> uncaught, anywhere in the pipeline, are caught and logged. If there is not
> a common way to do this, yet, I submit it as a great template for solving
> this problem. It's simple, scalable, and well-tested (ie tests and running
> in prod for years).
>

> https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/swift/common/middleware/catch_errors.py
>
> Leaving aside error handling and only focusing on the transaction id (or
> request id) generation, since OpenStack services are exposed to untrusted
> clients, how would you propose communicating the appropriate transaction id
> to a different service? I can see great benefit to having a glance
> transaction ID carry through to Swift requests (and so on), but how should
> the transaction id be communicated? It's not sensitive info, but I can
> imagine a pretty big problem when trying to track down errors if a client
> application decides to set eg the X-Set-Transaction-Id header on every
> request to the same thing.

-1 to cross service request IDs, for the reasons John mentions above.

> Thanks for bringing this up, and I'd welcome a patch in Swift that would
> use a common library to generate the transaction id, if it were installed.
> I can see that there would be huge advantage to operators to trace requests
> through multiple systems.
>
> Another option would be for each system that calls an another OpenStack
> system to expect and log the transaction ID for the request that was given.
> This would be looser coupling and be more forgiving for a heterogeneous
> cluster. Eg when Glance makes a call to Swift, Glance cloud log the
> transaction id that Swift used (from the Swift response). Likewise, when
> Swift makes a call to Keystone, Swift could log the Keystone transaction
> id. This wouldn't result in a single transaction id across all systems, but
> it would provide markers so an admin could trace the request.

There was a session on this at the summit, and although the notes are a
little scarce this was the conclusion we came up with.  Every time a cross
service call is made, we will log and send a notification for ceilometer to
consume, with the request-ids of both request ids.  One of the benefits of
this approach is that we can easily generate a tree of all the API calls
that are made (and clearly show when multiple calls are made to the same
service), something that just a cross service request id would have trouble
with.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-summit-qa-gate-debugability

With that in mind I think having a standard x-openstack-request-id makes
things a little more uniform, and means that adding new services doesn't
require new logic to handle new request ids.