[openstack-dev] request-id in API response

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:47:54 UTC 2013

On 12/01/2013 10:04 PM, John Dickinson wrote:
> Just to add to the story, Swift uses "X-Trans-Id" and generates it in
> the outer-most "catch_errors" middleware.
>
> Swift's catch errors middleware is responsible for ensuring that the
> transaction id exists on each request, and that all errors previously
> uncaught, anywhere in the pipeline, are caught and logged. If there
> is not a common way to do this, yet, I submit it as a great template
> for solving this problem. It's simple, scalable, and well-tested (ie
> tests and running in prod for years).
>
> https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/swift/common/middleware/catch_errors.py

++

If there's prior art here, might as well use it. I'm not a huge fan of
using the term "transaction" within things that do not have a
transactional safety context... but that's just because of my background
in RDBMS stuff. If X-Trans-Id is already in use by another OpenStack
project, it should probably take precedence over something new unless
there is a really good reason otherwise (and my personal opinion about
the semantics of transactions ain't a good reason!).

>  Leaving aside error handling and only focusing on the transaction id
> (or request id) generation, since OpenStack services are exposed to
> untrusted clients, how would you propose communicating the
> appropriate transaction id to a different service? I can see great
> benefit to having a glance transaction ID carry through to Swift
> requests (and so on), but how should the transaction id be
> communicated? It's not sensitive info, but I can imagine a pretty big
> problem when trying to track down errors if a client application
> decides to set eg the X-Set-Transaction-Id header on every request to
> the same thing.

I suppose if this were really a problem (and I'm not sold on the idea
that it is a problem), one solution might be to store a checksum
somewhere for the transaction ID and some other piece of data. But I
don't really see that as super useful, and it would slow things down.
Glance already stores a checksum for important things like the data in
an image. If a service needs to be absolutely sure that a piece of data
hasn't been messed with, this cross-service request ID probably isn't
the thing to use...

> Thanks for bringing this up, and I'd welcome a patch in Swift that
> would use a common library to generate the transaction id, if it were
> installed. I can see that there would be huge advantage to operators
> to trace requests through multiple systems.

Hmm, so does that mean that you'd be open to (gradually) moving to an
x-openstack-request-id header to replace x-trans-id?

> Another option would be for each system that calls an another
> OpenStack system to expect and log the transaction ID for the request
> that was given. This would be looser coupling and be more forgiving
> for a heterogeneous cluster. Eg when Glance makes a call to Swift,
> Glance cloud log the transaction id that Swift used (from the Swift
> response). Likewise, when Swift makes a call to Keystone, Swift could
> log the Keystone transaction id. This wouldn't result in a single
> transaction id across all systems, but it would provide markers so an
> admin could trace the request.

Sure, this is a perfectly fine option, but doesn't really provide the
single traceable ID value that I think we're looking for here.

Best,
-jay