[openstack-dev] request-id in API response

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 01:48:56 UTC 2013

On Nov 30, 2013, at 1:00 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 11/29/2013 10:33 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> On 11/28/2013 07:45 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am working on adding request-id to API response in Neutron.
>>> After I checked what header is used in other projects
>>> header name varies project by project.
>>> It seems there is no consensus what header is recommended
>>> and it is better to have some consensus.
>>>
>>>   nova:     x-compute-request-id
>>>   cinder:   x-compute-request-id
>>>   glance:   x-openstack-request-id
>>>   neutron:  x-network-request-id  (under review)
>>>
>>> request-id is assigned and used inside of each project now,
>>> so x-<service>-request-id looks good. On the other hand,
>>> if we have a plan to enhance request-id across projects,
>>> x-openstack-request-id looks better.
>>
>> My vote is for:
>>
>> x-openstack-request-id
>>
>> With an implementation of "create a request UUID if none exists yet" in
>> some standardized WSGI middleware...
>
> Agreed. I don't think I see any value in having these have different
> service names, having just x-openstack-request-id across all the
> services seems a far better idea, and come back through and fix nova and
> cinder to be that as well.

+1

An openstack request id should be service agnostic to allow tracking of a request across many services (e.g. a call to nova to boot a VM should generate a request id that is provided to other services in requests to provision said VM).  All services would ideally share a facility for generating new request ids and for securely accepting request ids from other services.

m.