[openstack-dev] Proposal for Raksha, a Data Protection As a Service project

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com
Fri Aug 30 19:34:35 UTC 2013

On 8/29/2013 5:36 PM, Murali Balcha wrote:

>> Hi Kat,
>> Consider the following use cases that Raksha will addresses. I will discuss from simple to complex use case and then address your specific questions with inline comments.
>> 1.    VM1 that is created on the local file system with a cinder volume attached
>> 2.    VM2 that is booted off from a cinder volume and has couple of cinder volumes attached
>> 3.    VM1 and VM2 all booted from cinder volumes and has couple of volumes attached. They also share a private network for internal communication.
>> 4.
>> In all these cases Raksha will take a consistent snap of VMs, walk thru each VM resources and backup the resources to swift end point.
>> In case 1, that means backup VM image and Cinder volume image to swift
>> In case 2 is an extension of case 1.
>> In case 3, Raksha not only backup VM1 and VM2 and its associated resources, it also backup the network configuration

How are any of those scenarios enhanced by using an independent project?

Cinder already allows Volume Drivers to decide how to implement creating
a volume from a snapshot, how to backup a volume and
how to copy content from one volume to another volume.

In all of these cases the backend storage device can frequently
perform these operations without requiring the entire bandwidth
go through the compute node. This is a major enhancement.

How would you achieve this in a project *above* Cinder and Swift?