[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] what's in scope of Ceilometer

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Aug 29 08:20:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29 2013, Gordon Chung wrote:

> the first question is, Ceilometer currently does metering/alarming/maybe a
> few other things... will it go beyond that? specifically: capacity
> planning, optimization, dashboard(i assume this falls under
> horizon/ceilometer plugin work), analytics.
> they're pretty broad items so i would think they would probably end up
> being separate projects?

I think we can extend Ceilometer API to help build such tools, but I
don't think we should build these tools inside Ceilometer.

> another question is what metrics will we capture.  some of the product
> teams we have collect metrics on datacenter memory/cpu utilization,
> cluster cpu/memory/vm, and a bunch of other clustered stuff.
> i'm a nova-idiot, but is this info possible to retrieve? is the consensus
> that Ceilometer will collect anything and everything the other projects
> allow for?

Yeah, I think that Ceilometer's the place to collect anything. I don't
know if that metrics you are talking about are collectable through Nova
though.

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker - independent consultant