[openstack-dev] [Nova] multiple-scheduler-drivers blueprint

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Wed Aug 28 20:34:04 UTC 2013

Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote on 28/08/2013 11:04:45 PM:
>> Well, first, at the moment each of these filters today duplicate the
>> code that handles aggregate-based overrides. So, it would make sense
>> to have it in one place anyway. Second, why duplicating all the
>> filters if this can be done with a single flag?
>
> We already have too many flags, and i don't want to introduce one
> that we plan on removing / deprecating in the near future if we can help
it.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a flag that enables/disables
aggregate-based policy overrides anyway?

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/scheduler/
> filters/ram_filter.py doesn't duplicate all the code, it uses a base
> class.  The check the aggregate for the value logic is duplicated,
> but that is easy to fix.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying -- the first step would be to put that
logic in one place (e.g., scheduler/utils.py, like the get_config method
we have been thinking to introduce originally), and then we can easily
reuse it in all the other filters (regardless of the decision whether to
do it within the existing filters, or to add an "AggregateXYZ" filter for
each existing filter XYZ. Same potentially for weight functions, etc).

Alex