[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Calling empty_chain in L3 agent

Baldwin, Carl (HPCS Neutron) carl.baldwin at hp.com
Wed Aug 28 19:47:38 UTC 2013

Salvatore,

Two problems have been found that were caused by calling empty_chain and
then failing to restore some rule in the chain that was just emptied.  The
first problem found was mine in my fix to this bug.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1209011

I filed a bug on the second problem today.  We discovered it in our
development environment yesterday.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1218040

Mine broke the gate and got reverted about two days after landing.  Now,
no one seems to want to touch it with a ten foot pole.  It is tainted.  :)
 The second one apparently has gone unnoticed for a while now.  I would
like to propose a strategy for addressing these problems for now and for
the future.

First, I propose that we accept the proposed fixes to these two bugs in
time for H-3.  My patch for the first bug has been up for a while.  It is
a good fix and I have fixed the problem that caused the gate to break and
it has seen more runtime in our test environments.  I'd really like to see
it land.

Second, I would like to discuss a more permanent solution with you since
you and I are the authors of the code implicated in the two problems.  I
think some refactoring and better testing are in order here.  The real
problem is that in order to empty a chain, there has to be some way to
know that we are reconstructing the chain with everything that needs to be
in there.  Maybe we could get this in for Havana final, maybe post-Havana.
 What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Carl Baldwin

PS  Below are the two reviews that I have to address these two scenarios.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/42412/

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/44133/