[openstack-dev] [Nova] Frustrations with review wait times

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 28 09:10:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:45:26PM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> [Concerns over review wait times in the nova project]
>
> I think that we're also seeing the fact that nova-core's are also
> developers. nova-core members have the same feature freeze deadline,
> and that means that to a certain extent we need to stop reviewing in
> order to get our own code ready by the deadline.
>
> The strength of nova-core is that its members are active developers,
> so I think a "reviewer caste" would be a mistake. I am also not saying
> that nova-core should get different deadlines (although more leniency
> with exceptions would be nice).

Agreed, I think it is very important for the core reviewers to also be
active developers, since working on the code is how you gain the knowledge
required to do high quality reviews.

> So, I think lower review rates around deadlines are just a fact of life.

This is a fairly common problem across all open source projects really.
People consistently wait until just before review deadlines to submit
their code. You have to actively encourage people to submit their code
well before deadlines / discourage them from waiting till the last
minute. Sometimes the best way to get people to learn this is the hard
way, by postponing their feature if submitted too close to the dealine
and too much other stuff is ahead of it in the queue. IOW we should
prioritize review of work whose authors submitted earlier to encourage
good practice with early submission.

Regards,
Daniel