[openstack-dev] live-snapshot/cloning of virtual machines

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 16:13:49 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 12:04 PM, Tim Smith wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com
> <mailto:rbryant at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     > What about publishing the API as blacklisted by default? This way it
>     > would be available only to users that enable it explicitly, while
>     still
>     > supporting the scenario described above.
>
>     It still makes no sense to me to merge an API for a feature that can't
>     be used.
>

> While it's true that there won't be an in-tree driver that supports the
> API for this release cycle, we have a commercial driver that supports it
> (https://github.com/gridcentric/cobalt).
>
> Having the API standardized in Havana would ensure that client support
> is immediately available for our users as well as for the other
> hypervisor vendors should they release a supporting driver in the next 9
> months. I believe there is precedent for publishing a nova API for those
> purposes.

IMO, to be the healthiest project we can be, we must focus on what code
is actually a part of Nova.  If you'd like to submit your changes for
inclusion into Nova, then we can talk.

What you are seeing here is a part of the pain of maintaining a fork.  I
am not OK with shifting part of that burden on to the upstream project
when it doesn't help the upstream project *at all*.

When we have supporting code to make the feature usable, then the API
can go in.

--
Russell Bryant