[openstack-dev] live-snapshot/cloning of virtual machines

Alessandro Pilotti apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com
Tue Aug 27 14:53:17 UTC 2013

On Aug 27, 2013, at 17:34 , Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com<mailto:rbryant at redhat.com>>
 wrote:

On 08/27/2013 10:06 AM, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
We are also planning to implement the live snapshot feature in the
Hyper-V driver during the next release cycle.

I'm personally in favour of publishing the APIs in Havana, as this would
provide a stable baseline at the beginning of the release cycle and also

The API is published already.  What matters even more than the API for
you as a driver maintainer is the driver interface, which is actually
already merged.  It went in before it became clear the libvirt patch
wouldn't go in, but I don't think there's any reason to remove it now.

give the ability to users and third parties to backport the driver's
feature to Havana (outside of the official repo of course).

If you're backporting stuff anyway, you can backport the API patch, as
well.  I see no sense in delivering an API to *everyone* that can't be used.

That's IMO a different story: backporting a driver is usually quite trivial as it affects only one service (nova-compute) and one interaction point with Nova (the driver's interface). Between Havana and Grizzly for example, the entire Hyper-V driver can be backported without substantial issues. On the deployment side, we have to care only about updating the code which runs con the compute nodes, using vanilla OpenStack components on the controller and remaining nodes.

Backporting the public APIs is a whole different story, it affects way more components that need to be deployed (nova-api as a minimum of course), with way more interaction points that might incur into patching hell.

What about publishing the API as blacklisted by default? This way it would be available only to users that enable it explicitly, while still supporting the scenario described above.

Alessandro

--
Russell Bryant