[openstack-dev] Announcing Tuskar project and PTL nominations

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at bull.net
Thu Aug 22 13:20:07 UTC 2013

Hi Martyn,

Le 22/08/2013 13:23, Martyn Taylor a écrit :
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> We are currently working on design docs.  We'll be adding some
> architecture diagrams and description to our documentation soon.

Nice to know, thanks.

> To answer your question re: provisioning and images.
>
> In our currently implementation (which is very early days), we took
> images that were built from by Triple O, namely the overcloud
> non-compute and compute images and we use these directly.  in the demo
> environment you seen in the video, we used Triple O CI to set up the
> machine, register the relevant overcloud images with glance and so on.
>
> In Tuskar, we lifted from TripleO a copy of the triple-o overcloud
> heat template and made some modifications.  We split out the
> non-compute and compute sections, this allows us to add multiple
> entries of each of the non-compute and compute sections (based on what
> is registered in Tuskar) we then add a section to enforce deployment
> of the particular images onto particular bare metal machines.  (This
> allows us to match hardware to OpenStack services).  We do this by
> using the force_hosts capability in the nova bare metal driver:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/baremetal-force-node.
>
> We also add some extra commands to the Heat template to registers
> flavors and associates the flavors, host aggregates and baremetal
> nodes in the overcloud nova control instance. This allows us to tell
> the nova scheduler to match any instance requests with flavors that
> were registered with a resource class in Tuskar with particular
> hardware that has also been added to that resource class.

Thanks for the explanation, I'm understanding more. So, basically, *and
I understand this is a POC*, your API allows to dynamically build yaml
templates for injecting Openstack components thanks to os-apply-config
and os-refresh-config, packed in some images built by disk-image-builder ?

> As Tomas mentioned, our initial release is really just a Proof of
> Concept.  We'll be working to add more complex features and probably
> rework much of our "short cuts".  Our aim though is to contribute as
> much as possible (or as much that makes sense) of Tuskar upstream into
> TripleO or any other component that we utilize and extend and have
> Tuskar really concentrate on how to utilize existing components to
> manage and deploy an OpenStack at large scale.

Totally understand. So, my next question is : do you have kind of a
roadmap, which could tell us when you feel confident for releasing
something ready for lab usage ? =)

Thanks,
-Sylvain

>>> https://github.com/stackforge/python-tuskarclient