[openstack-dev] Announcing Tuskar project and PTL nominations

Tomas Sedovic tsedovic at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 12:32:13 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

We would like to announce Tuskar, an OpenStack management service.

Our goal is to provide an API and UI to install and manage OpenStack at
larger scale: where you deal with racks, different hardware classes for
different purposes (storage, memory vs. cpu-intensive compute), the
burn-in process, monitoring the HW utilisation, etc.

Some of this will overlap with TripleO, Ceilometer and possibly other
projects. In that case, we will work with the projects to figure out the
best place to fix rather than duplicating effort and playing in our own
sandbox.

Current status:

There's a saying that if you're not embarrassed by your first release,
you've shipped too late.

I'm happy to say, we are quite embarrassed :-)

We've got a prototype that allows us to define different hardware
classes and provision the racks with the appropriate images, then add
new racks and have them provisioned.

We've got a Horizon dashboard plugin that shows the general direction we
want to follow and we're looking into integrating Ceilometer metrics and
alarms.

However, we're still tossing around different ideas and things are very
likely to change.

Our repositories are on Stackforge:

https://github.com/stackforge/tuskar
https://github.com/stackforge/python-tuskarclient
https://github.com/stackforge/tuskar-ui

And we're using Launchpad to manage our bugs and blueprints:

https://launchpad.net/tuskar
https://launchpad.net/tuskar-ui

If you want to talk to us, pop in the #tuskar IRC channel on Freenode or
send an email to openstack-dev at lists.launchpad.net with "[Tuskar]" in
the subject.

PTL:

Talking to OpenStack developers, we were advised to elect the PTL early.

Since we're nearing the end of the Havana cycle, we'll elect the PTL for
a slightly longer term -- the rest of Havana and throughout Icehouse.
The next election will coincide with those of the official OpenStack
projects.

If you are a Tuskar developer and want to nominate yourself, please send
an email to openstack-dev at lists.launchpad.net with subject "Tuskar PTL
candidacy".

The self-nomination period will end on Monday, 26th August 2013, 23:59 UTC.

--
Tomas Sedovic