[openstack-dev] [Neutron][VPNaaS] Supporting OpenSwan or StrongSwan or Both?

Nachi Ueno nachi at ntti3.com
Tue Aug 20 17:02:20 UTC 2013

Hi Paul

2013/8/20 Paul Michali <pcm at cisco.com>:
> Was the original reasoning to use StrongSwan over OpenSwan, only because of
> community support? I vaguely recall something mentioned about StrongSwan
> having additional capabilities or something. Can anyone confirm?
>
> As far as which option, it sounds like B or C-2 are the better choices, just
> because of the RHEL support. The two are very similar (from an end-user
> standpoint), so the added doc/help shouldn't be too bad. From a  code
> perspective, much of the code can be shared, so the added testing
> requirements should also be minimal.

OK so C-2 has +3. (Salvatore, Paul and me)

> The only point to make about C-2 is it requires us to either take the extra
> time now to support multiple drivers (we will have to eventually - I'll be
> working on one), or do a refactoring later to support a hierarchy of
> drivers. I brought that point up in the review of the reference driver, and
> Nachi and I talked about this a bit yesterday. We both agreed that we could
> do the refactoring later, to support drivers that are different than the
> Swan family.
>
> Related to that, I did have some question about multiple drivers...
>
> How do we handle the case where the drivers support different capabilities?
> For example, say one driver supports an encryption mode that the other does
> not.
>
> Can we reject unsupported capabilities at configuration time? That seems
> cleaner, but I'm wondering how that would be done (I know we'll specify the
> provider, but wondering how we'll invoke driver specific verification
> routines - do we have that mechanism defined?).

There is two kind of drivers.
- service_drivers (server side)
  Handle API request and dispatch request for agent side
#This is called plugin_driver in LBaaS, but I prefer service_driver
because it is more specific name)

- device_drivers (agent side)
  Get request from API then apply config for agent

So regarding to the capabilities, we should write new service_drivers.

Best
Nachi