[openstack-dev] [nova] live-snapshot/cloning of virtual machines

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Aug 18 20:28:58 UTC 2013

On 17 August 2013 07:01, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Maybe we've grown up to the point where we have to be more careful and
>> not introduce
>> these kind of features and the maintenance cost of introducing
>> experimental features is
>> too great. If that is the community consensus, then I'm happy keep the
>> live snapshot stuff
>> in a branch on github for people to experiment with.
>
> My feeling after following this discussion is that it's probably best to
> keep baking in another branch (github or whatever).  The biggest reason
> is because of the last comment quoted from Daniel Berrange above.  I
> feel that like that is a pretty big deal.

So, reading between the lines here, I guess you're worried that we'd
let code paths that violate what upstream will support leak into the
main codepaths for libvirt - and thus we'd end up with a situation
where we aren't supported by upstream for all regular operations.

I agree that *that* is a big deal : is there something we could do to
prevent that happening? E.g. annotating this whole thing as
experimental/not upstream supported or something?

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist