[openstack-dev] Launchpad bug tracker defects (was: Proposal oslo.db lib)

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 17 05:56:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2013-08-16 13:55:46 -0700:

> > The reason is that it's actually difficult to get a view of all "oslo"
> > bugs due to Launchpad shortcomings (a project can only be in one project
> > group). So keeping them in a single "project" simplifies the work of
> > people that look after all of "Oslo".
> >
> > This should be fixed in the future with a task tracker that handles
> > project groups sanely, and then there is no reason at all to use the
> > same project for different repositories.
> >

> I know this sounds like a crazy idea, but have we looked at investing any
> time in adding this feature to Launchpad?
>
> TripleO has the same problem. We look at bugs for:
>
> tripleo
> diskimage-builder
> os-apply-config
> os-collect-config
> os-refresh-config
>
> Now, having all of those in one project is simply not an option, as they
> are emphatically different things. Part of TripleO is allowing users to
> swap pieces out for others, so having clear lines between components is
> critical.
>
> I remember similar problems working on juju, juju-jitsu, charm-tools,
> and juju-core.
>
> Seems like it would be worth a small investment in Launchpad vs. having
> to switch to another tracker.

Their issue is slightly more nuanced. They're already using project groups
to provide a unified view (for all of OpenStack - which might be of dubious
value) but the trouble is that a project can only belong to one project
group.

For tripleo, you might want to look at having a launchpad admin create you
a project group if they aren't required to be part of the openstack project
group.

--
Cody A.W. Somerville