[openstack-dev] [Glance] Replacing Glance DB code to Oslo DB code.

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Fri Aug 16 15:49:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Victor Sergeyev <vsergeyev at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> Glance cores (Mark Washenberger, Flavio Percoco, Iccha Sethi) have some
> questions about Oslo DB code, and why is it so important to use it instead
> of custom implementation and so on. As there were a lot of questions it was
> really hard to answer on all this questions in IRC. So we decided that
> mailing list is better place for such things.
>
> List of main questions:
>
> 1. What includes oslo DB code?
> 2. Why is it safe to replace custom implementation by Oslo DB code?

Just to head off these two really quick. The database code in Oslo as
initially submitted was actually based largely from that in Glance,
merging in some of the improvements made in Nova. There might have
been some divergence since then, but migrating over shouldn't be
terribly difficult. While it isn't necessary for Glance to switch
over, it would be somewhat ironic if it didn't.

The database code in Oslo primarily keeps base models and various
things we can easily share, reuse, and improve across projects. I
suppose a big part of this is the session management which has been
moved out of api.py and into its own module of session.py. This
session management code is probably what you'll most have to decide is
worthwhile bringing in and if Glance really has such unique
requirements that it needs to bother with maintaining this code on its
own.

--
Regards,
Eric Windisch