[openstack-dev] Extension to volume creation (filesystem and label)

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com
Tue Aug 13 20:37:21 UTC 2013

On 8/12/2013 9:37 AM, Greg Poirier wrote:

> Oh, we don't want to get super fancy with it. We would probably only
> support one filesystem type and not partitions. E.g. You request a 120GB
> volume and you get a 120GB Ext4 FS mountable by label.

I'm not following something here. What is the point at dictating a
specific FS format when the compute node will be the one applying
the interpretation?

Isn't a 120 GB volume which the VM will interpret as an EXT4 FS just
a 120 GB volume that has a *hint* attached to it?

And would there be any reason to constrain in advance the set of hints
that could be offered?