[openstack-dev] [tripleo] structuring configuration setup

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Aug 12 01:39:49 UTC 2013

On 19 June 2013 15:12, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> So in a running OpenStack there are several categories of config.
>
>  - per user - e.g. ssh key registration with nova: we repeat this sort
> of config everytime we add a user.
>  - per node - e.g. nova.conf or ovs-vsctl add-br br-ex : settings that
> apply individually to machines
>  - application state - e.g. 'quantum net-create ...' : settings that
> apply to the whole cluster not on a per-user / per-tenant basis
>
> We have four places we can do configuration in TripleO:
>  - image build time
>  - in-instance heat-driven (ORC scripts)
>  - in-instance first-boot scripts
>  - from outside via APIs
>
> At the moment we have a mismash around our demo scripts with some bits
> being done here and there with no real consistency or ability to
> predict 'for this sort of config, it is done <...>'
>
> So, I'd like to come up with a predictive description that covers most
> (ideally all) cases, so we can make it easy for folk to decide where
> and how to tackle things.
>
> As a strawman:
>  - per user config should be done from the outside via APIs, even for
> users like 'admin' that we know we'll have.
>  - application state changes should be done from outside via APIs
>  - per-node config should be done via ORC
>  - first-boot scripts should only be used for things required to make
> boot work for which cloud-init is either not available [seed node] or
> not suitable [???].

We've been refactoring along these lines and it's looking pretty solid.

One interesting thing is that tuskar now exists - I haven't yet got a
firm feeling for what should go in there : possibly it can own the
application state change category - things like neutron network setup,
which is an external API task, but for which one may want higher order
logic around (e.g. 'I have 3 datacentres, 100Gbps trunks, 40Gbps
aggregate routers in each rack, 20Gbps to each compute host, please
give me a good config).

-Rob
--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>