[openstack-dev] [nova] gauging feelings on a new config option for powervm_lpar_operation_timeout

Matt Riedemann mriedem at us.ibm.com
Sun Aug 11 20:04:28 UTC 2013

While working on a patch to implement hard reboot for the powervm driver
[1], I noticed that the stop_lpar (power_off) method has a timeout
argument with a default value of 30 seconds but it's not overridden
anywhere in the code and it's not configurable.  The start_lpar (power_on)
method doesn't have a timeout at all.  I was thinking about creating a
patch to (1) make start_lpar poll until the instance is running and (2)
making the stop/start timeouts configurable with a new config option,
something like powervm_lpar_operation_timeout that defaults to 60 seconds.

I looked in nova.conf.sample for existing timeout options and found this
one for the xen virt driver:

# number of seconds to wait for instance to go to running
# state (integer value)
#xenapi_running_timeout=60

I'm looking to basically get a feeling of what kind of reaction I'll get
if I put a patch up with a new config option for this in the powervm
driver.  If there aren't any major pushes against it, I'll start working a
patch.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40748/

Thanks,

MATT RIEDEMANN
Advisory Software Engineer
Cloud Solutions and OpenStack Development

Phone: 1-507-253-7622 | Mobile: 1-507-990-1889
E-mail: mriedem at us.ibm.com

3605 Hwy 52 N
Rochester, MN 55901-1407
United States