[openstack-dev] Extension to volume creation (filesystem and label)

Greg Poirier greg.poirier at opower.com
Sun Aug 11 05:11:06 UTC 2013

Since we can't guarantee that a volume, when attached, will become a
specified device name, we would like to be able to create a filesystem and
label it (so that we can programmatically interact with it when
provisioning systems, services, etc).

What we are trying to decide is whether this should be the responsibility
of Nova or Cinder. Since Cinder essentially has all of the information
about the volume and is already responsible for creating the volume
(against the configured backend), why not also give it the ability to mount
the volume (assuming support for it on the backend exists), run
mkfs.<filesystem_type>, and then use tune2fs to label the volume with (for
example) the volume's UUID?

This way we can programmatically do:

mount /dev/disk/by-label/<UUID> /mnt/point

This is more or less a functional requirement for our provisioning service,
and I'm wondering also:

- Is anyone else doing this already?
- Has this been considered before?

We will gladly implement this and submit a patch against Cinder or Nova.
We'd just like to make sure we're heading in the right direction and making
the change in the appropriate part of Openstack.

Thanks,

Greg Poirier
Opower - Systems Engineering