[openstack-dev] [nova] security_groups extension in nova api v3

Melanie Witt melwitt at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Aug 9 22:05:18 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I did the initial port of the security_groups api extension to v3 and have been testing it out in devstack while adding the expected_errors decorator to it.

The guidance so far on network-related extensions in v3 is not to duplicate actions that can be accomplished through the neutron api and assuming nova-network deprecation is imminent. So, the only actions left in the extension are the associate/disassociate security group with instance.

However, when security_group_api = neutron, all associate/disassociate will do is call the neutron api to update the port for the instance (port device_id == instance uuid) and append the specified security group. I'm wondering if this falls under the nova proxying we don't want to be doing and if associate/disassociate should be removed from the extension for v3.

If removed, it would leave the extension only providing support for server_create (cyeoh has a patch up for review).

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Melanie