[openstack-dev] [climate] Mirantis proposal to extend Climate to support virtual resources reservation

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Fri Aug 9 19:06:16 UTC 2013

Hi Nikolay and Patrick, thanks for your replies.

Virtual vs. Physical Resources
Ok, now I realize what you meant by "virtual resources," e.g. instances,
volumes, networks...resources provided by existing OpenStack schedulers. In
this case "physical resources" are actually more "removed" since there are
no interfaces to them in the user-level OpenStack APIs. If you make a
physical reservation on "this rack of machines right here", how do you
supply this reservation information to nova-scheduler? Probably via
scheduler hints + an availability zone or host-aggregates. At which point
you're really defining a instance reservation that includes explicit
scheduler hints. Am I missing something?

Eviction:
Nikolay, to your point that we might evict something that was already paid
for: in the design I have in mind, this would only happen if the policies
set up by the operator caused one reservation to be weighted higher than
another reservation. Maybe because one client paid more? The point is that
this would be configurable and the sensible default is to not evict
anything.