[openstack-dev] Ensuring that we have OpenStack-friendly deployment options. (point: AGPL is problematic)

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Aug 9 16:35:57 UTC 2013

While looking at some of the emerging technologies coming into stackforge
and moving toward incubation and/or incubation, an interesting trend
has appeared.

Everybody is using MongoDB!

Now, don't get me wrong. MongoDB is being chosen for its technical
excellence in these problem areas. I think MongoDB is a fine choice for
many OpenStack users.

However, for many others, the AGPL license is problematic. There is enough
vagueness in the added "network access" clause, that some organizations
do not want to take the risk of deploying AGPL software.

So, I'd like to make a plea to projects to consider this, and evaluate
providing backends for free software that is more friendly to OpenStack
users. Since we have an Apache license, apache licensed projects are
the simplest to consider. Also GPLv2 projects have been accepted by
organizations large and small, and GPLv3 is usually ok (some orgs don't
like the patent provisions). BSD licenses also are usually acceptable
since they put almost no burden on the org and allow relicensing.

Here is a list of MongoDB alternatives that I would like to see backends
for when plain old SQL will simply not do:

Apache license:

- Riak
- Cassandra
- ElasticSearch
- LogStash

BSD 3-clause:

- Redis

Anyway, this is just something to consider as you all start and improve
more amazing projects.